Sunday, March 21, 2010

Freakonomics Chapter 1

Reading this book for the first time, I have to be honest .. I didn't enjoy it . In my opinion it seemed all over the place. It somewhat gave a lot of examples but they didn't connect to me. I was confused, frustrated, and bored. However, I did find some sections of the chapter interesting, not really the concepts but thewording.

For example when the books talks about teachers cheating for their students.
I found it amazing that the book kept referring to the teacher as "her" and "she". I guess because teahcing seems to be a female dominated field, but it's weird that because the teacher is CHEATING , because they want their students to pass, which is them involving their EMOTIONS, it has to be a women. This is typical stereotyping that goes on everyday in society.


Also the way the book goes on to add statistics but singling women out is interesting. On the the other hand, when I'm reading and there's a lot of numbers within the text I get distracted. When there's a bunch of numbers being thrown out at me it's easy for me to get bored and drift off especially when I dont understand where the numbers are coming from or why they matter. I honestly could not get into this reading. I got a headache while in the middle of reading this chapter ! It was just too much unnesacary data in the reading to me. Maybe if I had a better understanding of it I wouldn't feel this way.

Most importantly I don't understand the title of this chapter even after reading. I'm not sure as to how school teachers and sumo wrestlers relate ? Hopefully in our group discussion tomorrow, you guys will be able to better explain to me.

Good luck to group number one !
See ya =)

No comments:

Post a Comment