Sunday, February 28, 2010

Is That A Man or Woman !? Gender ...

Within this reading I found the claims made very accurate. Gender absolutely plays a major role in society. Today it’s as if everyone lives and does what’s expected of them through society’s eyes. In my opinion I believe that our early child role models sculpt our ideas and views of how men and women are “suppose” to behave. However for me I grew up in a household with my mom. There weren’t any male influences or role models within my home. Therefore growing up I sort of developed the need and strive for independence. I think that due to the lack of a father in my home, I took some masculine, well as society would view them, traits. On the other hand I’ve always has my grandfather and uncles to look at as to what men are “suppose” to do. From that I know when I’m talking to guys and pursuing any type of relationship, I keep those notes in mind. I guess you could say it’s like a cheat sheet or a mental check list!

Also, the reading suggests that when people hear certain statements they automatically put a label on it as male or female. That was funny to me. For example if you hear that someone has went on a shooting spree on a school, who are you more likely to assume did it a man or a women? I would think a man. Why? Because shooting seems masculine and to me and a person shooting has to have a lot of aggression and strength, which is more common in men. Another statement that stood out to me was if someone tells you they have a wonderful new doctor, are you more likely to assume it’s a man or women? Personally, it depends on which sex told me. If a woman told me I would assume the doctor was a woman and if a male told me I would think it was a man. The sex of the person is taken into consideration for me because I think both men and women have different views on what a wonderful doctor is. If a woman thinks the doctor is wonderful I think it’s because he can relate to her, vice versa with a man.

So far I’ve enjoyed the introduction to this gender section. I find the documentation clear and relatable.

No comments:

Post a Comment