Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Chapter 2 Freakonomics

I really enjoyed this chapter much better than the first one . During our class discussion, I listened to everyone and how highly they spoke of this book. I was sitting back thinking what did they read because I felt completely opposite. However, now I feel like Im reading out of the same book !


I found this chapter eye opening and relatable . There were many examples given that I could understand and relate to . Also I could see a much more clearer connection between them , rather than in the first chapter . For example on page 64 theres a line that says "it has vastly shrunk the gap between the experts and public" , it referring to the internet . That statement stood out to me because of hoe TRUE it is . The internet has indeed made i hard for any business to keep people /customers, from not knowing certain information that could possible harm their business. Although consumers mat not know a lot, they know enough to make business decsions.


Another idea that touched home woth me was the part about how compaines lie or promote false information and hide tru information for whatever reason. Being as though my major is Communications, under Public Relations , I think about this sort of problem all the time . I think about one day possibly having to face this dilemma in my field of work, of having to sale a lie. Sometimes I get discouraged because I feel like people are so used to companies streching the truth , therefore it will be somewhat challenging to go out and try to promote something without people already assumning that whatever Im saying is a lie.


Leading me into the other part that I liked, that says 'experts depend on the fact that you don't have the information they do." I couldn't agree more !! So many times I've seen my mom and grandma taken advantage of in deals. Number one them being women puts them at a slight disadvantage because men seem to know how to manipulate the opposite sex easliy. and two becasue they don't know as much and put "trust" into whomever is giving the sales pitch. Don't get me wrong, they're aren't fools ! But like everyine else the fall short sometimes simply because thet don't know as much as the experts.


All together, I had fun with this reading and relating it to my everyday life. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment