Sunday, April 18, 2010

Chapter 6

I enjoyed reading this chapter. Since I have a really common name , which is Ashley, I sometimes think about what makes me different from everybody else with my name. I always felt that my name didn't really bother who I was. I am my name, my name isn't me , meaning my name doesn't define me in any way, shape or form.

Pertaining to the book, I found the story about the sons Loser and Winner very funny and ironic. If anything I would think that because his name is "Winner" , he would feel pressured to excel in everything he attempted. On the other hand, I would expect Loser to have a low self esteem because his name automatically down grades him. But then again when I think about it, Loser might in fact be driven to work 10 times harder than Winner for the simple fact of his names negative meaning. Also , as I stated my name doesn't define me , so I guess Loser felt the same way !

On page 183, the author brings up the question "does the name you give your child affect his life?" I think it does and then again it doesn't. For example when it comes down to the business aspect if life, an outrageously ghetto name on an application or resume would have a negative impact on the possible employer compared to a more "sophisticated" and average name. But I also feel like it's about a persons performance and motivation and overall attitude that gets them through life and the name is just a small apart.

More so I thought the statistics on the cigarettes were funny. Newport's being more popular in the black teenage community , while Marlboros were more popular in the white teenage community. (another form of "segregation")

Also , I sort if understood why some black people shied away from naming their child a "white name" , because people of their community would judge them , assuming they are trying to be white. However , if that would help their childs' future or if thats what they liked, I don't see how they could let another's selfish questioning change their mind?

I knew a lot of people who had names from both the "blackest" girls name and the "blackest" boys names list.

On page 191, I thought the conclusion to why a Jake and a DeShawn would have the same or different life outcome, which was due to the same neighborhoods and same familial and economic circumstances. But because in most cases the parents of a Jake might not live in the same area as a DeShawn, the two buys life outcomes are different, and not because of their names.

Lastly, I really liked the saying on page 192 ... "anybody who bothers to change his name in the name if economic success is-like the high-school freshman in Chicago who entered the school-choice lottery-at least highly motivated, and MOTIVATION IS PROBABLY A STRONGER INDICATOR OF SUCCES THAN , WELL, A NAME." Proving my point of a name not defing anybody.

All in all , I liked this reading. See you all in class ..

p.s. LAST BLOGG , HIP HIP HUR-RAY !!! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment